Panopto is the university's video streaming and lecture capture platform. It accomplishes several core tasks:
- Record your classroom. (Students can watch the recordings for reviewing difficult materials before major assessments.)
- Record mini-lectures or introductions for your course and embed them in D2L.
- Live stream study sessions with students chatting questions to you.
- Have students create their own recordings of themselves, items outside of the classroom, or events and then upload them to your Panopto Assignment Folder via the D2L integration.
- Stream MP4s that you have access to. (The University Library can assist you in securing copyrights.)
Training and How-to Tutorials
PDF Tutorial Documents
Creating a Panopto Recording with PowerPoint and Voiceover
Creating an Assignment Folder in Panopto for Students to Record/Post Videos
How to Download a Panopto Video
Creating a Panopto Recording via a Browser
Posting a Panopto Recording to a D2L Content Module
View our online help pages at:
Panopto and FERPA
The University of Arizona provides access to Panopto for faculty, staff, and students to capture lectures or presentations for later playback by students or faculty enrolled in a specific course. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) limits access to student educational records, including these recordings.
FERPA prohibits disclosure of personally identifiable student records without a student's written consent. A student may be able to be identified through video, audio, or other means. More information on FERPA and faculty and staff members' responsibilities can be found on the Office of Register's website.
If your captured lectures are available to a broader audience than just the course section originally being recorded, and if students are personally identifiable in the recording, FERPA requires written student consent to that disclosure. Make sure every student that is identifiable in the video has signed the university's Video Permission Form or the Parents Release for a minor form. Students cannot be required to sign a consent form.
MOOC Research EdX. Optimal Video Length. Nov 12, 2013