Zoom is the University of Arizona's online synchronous meeting tool of choice and is free to use for any university business. It has the ability to use video cameras, microphones, screen sharing, and so much more.
Important Zoom Announcements
- CURRENT VERSION OF ZOOM MEETINGS CLIENT - VERSION 5.4.7
Click HERE to learn how to check if your Zoom client is up-to-date.
- Experiencing an issue with Zoom? Find out if Zoom is reporting issues with their platform.
Check Zoom's Status: https://status.zoom.us/
- Change 1: The new Zoom retention policy is now in place. All recordings set to Zoom's cloud repository will be removed 130 days after the original recording date. Please, plan accordingly to ensure you have an archival process established for videos you want to retain. See further details on the UITS Recording Retention site.
- Change 2: Postponed by Panopto. In the meantime all Zoom cloud recordings are still being copied over into Panopto - Panopto will be enhancing their integration with Zoom. After the update, targeted now for late January, all Panopto users will need to opt-in or their Zoom cloud recordings will not move into Panopto. As soon as Panopto releases the update, full instructions will be posted on the Recording Retention site.
Create a Zoom Meeting
OPTION 1: D2L Course Zoom Meeting. Go to UA Tools link on the menu navigation bar on your course homepage and click the Zoom link!
OPTION 2: Web Portal (Non D2L Meeting). You can go to http://arizona.zoom.us, click Sign In button and log in with your UA NetID.
OPTION 3: HIPAA Zoom Meetings. For meetings discussing healthcare, health education, or health data research use the HIPAA Zoom Login. You can go to https://hipaa-zoom.arizona.edu/. Select the HIPAA Zoom Login button and log in with your NetID.
Zoom and Security
Information on and strategies to secure Zoom meetings are available on the D2L Help Pages.
Zoom and FERPA
The University of Arizona provides access to Zoom for faculty, staff, and students to provide live synchronous online meetings for courses and university related business. With that there is the opportunity for the host to record those meetings. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) limits access to student educational records, including these recordings.
FERPA prohibits disclosure of personally identifiable student records without a student's written consent. A student may be able to be identified through video, audio, or other means. More information on FERPA and faculty and staff members' responsibilities can be found on the Office of Registrar's website .
If your recorded Zoom meetings are available to a broader audience than just the course section originally being recorded, and if students are personally identifiable in the recording, FERPA requires written student consent to that disclosure. Make sure every student that is identifiable in the video has signed the university's Video Permission Form or the Parents Release for a minor form. Students cannot be required to sign a consent form.
Training and Support
The fastest way to learn Zoom is with a 1:1 meeting with Josh Butcher email@example.com or a member of the Academic Technologies team firstname.lastname@example.org in UITS. Some colleges and departments also offer support for Zoom.
View our online UA Zoom help pages at:
Resources provided directly through Zoom:
- If you are planning on using a physical room that is set up with special hardware in your college of department for a Zoom Meeting then please check with your local IT staff to see if they have a custom workflow that they prefer you use to maximise the hardware in these special rooms.
- If you have created a free Zoom account in the past using your University of Arizona email you will need to visit https://arizona.zoom.us, click Sign In, and log in using your NetID and password. You will be asked if you want to move your current account into the UA Zoom account. Agree to the account move prior to your first use of Zoom for classes or you may not be able to use the tool correctly.
- If you have logged in through http://arizona.zoom.us or http://uahs.zoom.us, you can download and install an Outlook or Google Calendar Integration that allows you to create meetings from your calendaring solution.